The frustration of frames
I was recently working through an online course, which I paid for, and wanted to be able to print out a copy of the lecture notes so that I could save them for latter reference. I'd just like to highlight here that I didn't want to steal the courses content but I did want to keep a reference of some of the material for after my login expired. I paid quite a bit of money for the course.
Initially this wasn't a problem and I was able to us iAnnotate on my iPad to save each lecture as a PDF. However, after a few lectures, something changed.
After looking at the online site, the lecture pages were all made of frames within frames within frames. So now, when you tried to print the page, all you got was the first frame; just a small part of the web site.
Instead of printing the page, I thought i'd just copy the source and save an offline version for myself. But no, couldn't do that either. Not sure why but I couldn't even copy the HTML from Chrome Dev Tools without going through and expanding every element inside every frame. A very long process indeed.
After Googling for a while I couldn't really find any realistic solution other than a Firefox add-on called Print edit which reportedly would allow you to preview and modify the layout of the page and potentially print the frames.
So, off to Firefox I went and installed the plug-in, went to the online course site, logged in, navigated to the particular lecture I was trying to save and started print-edit. Frustratingly this was still only showing one page and there wasn't an option to add sub-frames etc. But, after playing around for a while I did find that when you are in the print-edit screen, there is an option to 'Save as', so I tried this.
To my jubilant cries of joy, after a couple of hours of mucking around, I found that the 'Save as' function indeed saved the entire website which I could then save into a folder on my localhost and keep as an offline copy. I still can't print it though.